Re[2]: Plutonium movement characteristics

The "flightiness" of plutonium is a piece of folklore I first heard
shortly after arriving at Hanford 20 years ago.  It appears to be a real
physical phenomenon, associated with statistical fluctuations in alpha-
recoil energy deposited along grain boundaries of alpha-decaying
materials.  These events cause small (around 1 million atoms) pieces of
the material to spall from the surface.  It apparently can cause plutonium
dioxide in an open container to disperse rather smartly throughout a glove
box (that was the "folklore").  It would also appear to enhance the
migration of actinides through filters and protective clothing.

Some relevant citations are:

M.T. Ryan and W.J. McDowell, Observations of the Distribution and Nature
of Alpha-active Particulate Material in a HEPA Filter Used for Plutonium-
Containing Dust, ORNL TM-5765, Feb. 1977.

M.T. Ryan et al., Retention and Penetration Characteristics of a Glass
Fiber Filter for Pb-212 Aggregate Recoil Particles," Health Physics, v.
29, pp. 796-98 (1975).

R.W. Lawson, "The Aggregate Recoil of Radioactive Substances Emitting
alpha-Rays," Nature, v. 102, pp. 464-465 (1919).

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.