Re: Unusual element response pattern - Panasonic Badges

Du Toit,

Very weird patterns, and not normal at all. I am assuming that you have
provided normalized element responses, which include ECF correction, BKG
subtraction, RCF correction, and any on-line normalization corrections.

The x-ray pattern looks normal, with the E3 elevation compared to the E1 and
E2 response. The E4 does NOT look normal at all. The primary way to have an
elevated E4 response is when the dosimeter is exposed to VERY HIGH
gamma, Co-60 or greater. For a primary response to Co-60, the E4 response is
in the range of only 10 to 15% above the E3 response. This does not account
for what you see. there any possibility that the dosimeters.

I am not aware of any chemical contamination that could affect the CaSO
elements. Have you checked for the possibility of contaminated lead over the
E4 elements?  I consider this to be highly unlikely. Also, potential
contamination from radioactive material over element 4? Again, unlikely.

In summary ... Unless there is a problem with the reader setup, where it is
looking at the wrong badge type, contaminated lead or contaminated elements
(all highly unlikely) I am not aware of any factors that would cause the elevated
E4 responses you are seeing...  Hopefully someone else may have a better
answer.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer