Another Interesting Item found??

Hi All,

We have another interesting item that I have run across, that I was
wondering if anyone else had run across or knows something about it, more
might want to be on the look out for.... It was found due to a rejected
load of recycled material.

This items are being called "capacitors", and are out of high voltage
circuit breakers. Each capacitor is a cylinder, 13 inches high, 2 inches
in diameter, covered with hard plastic [polyethylene??] that is
semi-transparent. Inside the plastic are stacked 10 round disks, each is
7/8 inch tall, ~1 3/4 inch diameter that have a blue case with metallic
[thin] window (~3/4 inch in diameter)  top and bottom. Looking inside of
a disk, there is a yellow-green heavy ceramic. The whole capacitor reads
about 160 uR/hr, in a background of 8 uR/hr. I have [tentatively]
identified the isotope as Th-232 and associated chain.

The circuit breaker was manufactured by Gould, Inc in 1977 and was in a
pressurized [large] iron shell. With what I could see, there are 4
capacitors to each enclosed circuit breaker. The company has since been
bought by another company, who disavows any knowledge of radioactive
materials in the circuit breaker or capacitor. To paraphrase, "it wasn't
there when it was made"

My question, besides general interest and need to identify it, is the
thorium added on purpose or just in the ceramic by accident?  [made in a
high Th area??? zeolite sands?]  Anyone know where these were made?
Anyone want one? (kidding)

See you in Minn.!   When is the radsafe get together?

Bruce A. Busby    -     Radiation Health Physicist
W- bab1303@hub.doh.wa.gov H-babusby@aol.com
Rad Prot. Div. - Dept. of Health - Washington State
7171 Cleanwater Lane, Bldg. 5   Olympia, WA  98504