RE: current Cs-137 event

> Date:          Wed, 17 Jun 1998 03:20:07 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          "Jesus Fernandez" <FERNANDEZ@inte.upc.es>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       RE: current Cs-137 event

> > "Cesium-Incident
> >
> > Radioactive cloud came from Spain
> >
> > Madrid.- The radioactive cloud, which was detected between May 25 and June
> > 2 in France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany originated obviously in
> > Southern Spain. The National Radiation Protection Authority in Madrid
> > declared on Saturaday, that there was an "incident" in a steel mill near
> > Cadiz at this time with Cesium-137."
> >
> > Can anyone of you confirm this? Are there more press releases?
>
>  You can find the press notes from the CSN (Spanish Nuclear Security
> Council) at:
>                 http://www.csn.es/dias/dias.html
>
>  Unfortunatly it's only spanish version. If you are interested I'll
> try to find time to translate the notes.
>
> Jesus
>

>   ********************************************
>   *   Jesus Fernandez Tallon                 *
>   *   fernandez@inte.upc.es                  *
>   *   Calibration & Dosimetry Laboratory     *
>   *   Institut de Tecniques Energetiques     *
>   *   Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya   *
>   *   Barcelona   SPAIN                      *
>   *   http:/seninte.upc.es/Personal/fernandez*
>   ********************************************
Dear Jesus,
I think all Europian members of the list are very interested in an
authentic english summary of the event.
For your information we measured elevated Cs-137 air concentrations in
Hungary too, in the samples of the week june 2-8. The concentrations
were in the order of 100-300 uBq/m3, about 100 times higher than
usual.

Jozsef Ronaky            e-mail:ronaky@npp.hu
emergency preparedness   fax:(36)75313034
manager                  phone:(36)75508610 (work)
Paks Nuclear Power Plant       (36)75421909 (home)
Paks P.O.Box 71
Hungary H-7031

All opinions here are strictly mine