Re: Re: Another reminder? -Reply -Reply -Reply

Ernest,

Yes, there were volcano issues (as well as earthquake issues and a host of other
issues) but they all were addressed and resolved to my satisfaction and to the
satisfaction of the Philippine Government.  (Note: the Philippine AEC had 20 years
of nuclear experience by that time, including operating a test reactor.)  Moreover,
the IAEA review team found the plant acceptable.  The US NRC never reviewed or
passed judgment on the plant, in part because the NRC had no authority or
responsibility.  Of course, a few individual NRC staff members answered my
questions, but the answers were informal.

In my opinion, based on all the information I could get at the time, the refusal to
permit the export of the core internals was pure politics.  It would be too harsh to
say that Jimmy Carter was willing to sacrifice a few thousand Filipino lives to
improve his chances of reelection, but it comes across as something like that.
Perhaps I feel strongly about it because I saw a few of the Filipinos die from lack of
electricity.

 -- all personal opinions, of course.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov