Re: Another reminder? -Reply -Reply -Reply

Harald,

There were no "site characterization requirements" that the Philippine site did not
meet and, of course, Westinghouse had US Government approval to export the
reactor.  I was not involved in the beginning of the project but early attention to the
volcano was documented.   As the project progressed, we paid considerably more
attention the volcano issue, possibly because of other erruptions and/or
Anti-Marcos activities.  Similarly, it is not clear why the attitude of the US
Government changed but it surely did and it seems there was nothing that
Westinghouse or the Philippine Government could do about it.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov