From: LIPTONW@dteenergy.com [mailto:LIPTONW@dteenergy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 1998 6:14 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: 90-Y counting in Beta/Gamma Counters

I would guess that you're seeing bremsstrahlung from the high energy
beta's
(2.28 MeV max) from the Y-90.  The serum probably has a higher atomic
number,
resulting in more bremsstrahlung production.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

Hello All,
    I am looking for some help regarding counting samples of 90-Y in a =
beta counter and gamma Counter. We counted 3 samples of 90-Y of similar
=
activity in a beta counter and gamma counter in similar geoemtry/vials.
=
One sample contained 90-Y in saline, the other 2 contained 90-Y in serum
=
(at different concentrations). The numbers looked reasonable from the =
beta counter. However, when the samples were counted in a gamma counter,
=
the serum sample yielded higher counts than the saline sample. the =
experiment was repeated several times with similar results. Does anyone
=
have an expalantion as to why the serum samples would yield hugher =
counts in the gamma counter as opposed to the saline sample? Any help is
=
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Truly yours,
Bob Dunn