Re: Re[2]: FW: News Media and How to Deceive -Reply

Brian,

You have a good point: in principle, intelligence and interest can overcome the lack
of a teacher, even for math and the physical sciences.  In fact, it is not uncommon
for good teachers (e.g. Herman Cember) to contend that the principal role of the
teacher is to engender  interest.  This, however, does not negate Ruth's
contention: with rare exceptions, students will not learn science without a teacher.
The teacher may not be paid for teaching, but that is another matter.

I have never known anyone to learn a physical science on his/her own.  Gauss was
an infant prodigy but for him to master mathematics, Duke Ferdinand provided the
best teachers money could buy.  I have had students that required little direct
teaching, but my being there to be impressed with their progress and to resolve
occasional uncertainties was essential.   The evidence seems overwhelming that we
cannot have a scientifically literate populace without good science teachers.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov