N.U Must Pay For Decommissioning -Reply

NU had set aside money for decommissioning, I believe somewhere in the range of
$200-250M.  But the plant was shutdown prematurely and the cost of
decommissioning is higher than first estimates. It was economics, not
incompetence, which shut Connecticut Yankee down.  Gas is a whole lot cheaper
now than redundant safety systems.  NU lost when it came to "A Connecticut
Yankee in a Keen Actuary's Count."  TA DUM!

Claude Flory
Northeast Utilities
floryca@gwsmtp.nu.com

>>> "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@earthlink.net> 09/02/98 10:56am >>>
While at FPL, I was involved with the decommisioning plans for
Turkey Point and St. Lucie. That was late 70's and early 80's.
Since then, I have understood that the NRC has required, as well
as other financial regulatory bodies, that each utility had to set
aside so many $$$ for future decommisioning. Perhaps someone
can address what NU was trying to push is different from what was
expected when decommisioning plans were first introduced.
--------------------

N.U Must Pay For Decommissioning - (HARTFORD) -- A judge has
ordered Northeast Utilities to foot the entire bill for
decommissioning of the Connecticut Yankee Nuclear Power Plant.
It will cost N-U more than 420- Million dollars to permanently shut
the plant down. The judge ruled N-U's incompetence led to the
plant's failure. The utility had wanted to add a surcharge to
ratepayers' bills to pay part of the cost.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of
the author, and NOT my employer