Re: Type B cask releases

A radiography camera is a Type B container, but not really a "cask".   Most
have a DU shield inside a steel or stainless steel outer shell.   Just
reading Ruth's description, it sounds as if the outer shell was broken
open, exposing the DU shell.   It is likely the end plugs remained in
place, thereby containing the actual radiography source.   Most portable
devices are licensed for up to 100 Ci of Ir192 or up to 40 to 50 Ci of
Co60.   I would suspect that it was an Ir192, since these weigh from 30 to
50 pounds, while the Co60 units are in the range of 1000 lbs, and tend to
be really secured.   There have been several instances over the years of
the smaller Ir192 cameras not be secured (or even left on the back bumper
as the driver drives off).

Even if the DU was exposed, it is still a good  indication of the overall
design of the camera, if the actual radiography source was contained.

Tony LaMastra
alamastra@enter.net