Re: Cost-Benefit Analyses -Reply

Ruth,

Your point is well taken, but the concept of extra protection for the kids is pretty
well ingrained in our society.  Also there is hazardous duty pay, generally based on
perception rather than any objective measure of risk, and the unions have tried to
get hazardous duty pay for radiation works, even though the data show no
discernible ill effects.  Also, in my experience, the more dangerous jobs (fighting
forest fires, etc.) have paid quite poorly.

The idea of voluntary vs involuntary risks is fraught with problems.  Essentially all
risks are partly voluntary and partly involuntary; where the line is drawn is up to
the analyst and the point to be proven.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov