Re: DAP meter request

If you are installing new equipment, I strongly recommend the Patient
Exposure Management NETwork (PEMNET) instead of a DAP system. You can
calibrate it to read, and record, ("speedometer" and "odometer") in whatever
units you please, e.g., free-air roentgens EE, free-air kerma at entrance,
tissue (skin) dose in rads. It can be a pain to retrofit to existing
installations, because planning for the cabling runs is best done in the
design-phase. Also, if your fluoro vendor is certifying to ISO 9001, they
might balk at modifying the machine, once it's in place. I don't know,
though, what a really informed take on the latter issue would be.

The PEMNET consists of a US$7500(~) server, which can monitor up to eight
generators at US$9500(~) each. It continuously monitors kVp/mA. There is an
ultrasonic ranging device on the gantry that allows the server to do the
inverse-square calcs. It also knows when the tube is underneath the table.
Why not request a promotional brochure from: Clinical Microsystems, Inc.,
620 22nd Street South, Arlington, VA 22202, (703)920-4345?

chris alston

>     Does anyone out there have information on a DAP meter which provides
>     the R/min during studies, besides the dose area product?  I recall a
>     few months ago that there was a string on the DAP concept, with the
>     recommendation that an exposure rate "speedometer" be available for
>     the docs to better understand dose reduction during the case.  Also if
>     anyone has a practical (simple?) method of estimating skin doses from
>     the DAP meter readout, I would greatly appreciate the information.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Mark Seddon, M.S.
>     Diagnostic Radiological Physicist
>     Florida Hospital
>     mark_seddon@mail.fhmis.net
>
>                    *****
>Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Medphys at:
>http://www.mindspring.com/~sherouse/MPFAQ/
>
>Archives of recent Medphys postings at:
>http://www.escribe.com/medicine/medphys/

Chris Alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
I am not here a representative of my employer.