RE: I-131 Bioassay, Requirements vs Recommendations

I'm fascinated by the fact that in California thyroid bioassays are
not required if capsules are used. The buffering that is used in
liquid form to suppress the formation of HI and I2 is of no effect in
dry form. I think you will find that there may be more outgassing of
free iodine and HI from capsules than from liquids.

> From:          Chris Fitz <chrisf@ndc.com>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       RE: I-131 Bioassay, Requirements vs Recommendations

> Depending on if the I-131 is dispensed in liquid or capsule form may also
> help support your documentation on if one is likely to exceed the 10%
> level.  If you administer liquid doses, I would think you would have a
> difficult time getting around the requirement to perform a thyroid
> bioassay.  Many nuclear medicine departments in California are only
> authorized to use capsule form and no bioassay is required.  The nuclear
> pharmacy preparing the capsules has bioassay requirements (weekly).
>

> Chris Fitz

Jerry Rosen

University of Pittsburgh
GSPH  Rm G-7