Turkey Point Nuclear Plant Earns Industry Distinction

Kudos to my former colleagues at FPL!!!
              ----------------------

Thursday October 15, 8:05 am Eastern Time

Company Press Release

SOURCE: Florida Power & Light Company

FPL'S Turkey Point Nuclear Plant Earns Industry
Distinction With Stellar Performance

JUNO BEACH, Fla., Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Florida Power &
Light Company's Turkey Point nuclear plant has earned a
special industry distinction with its just-announced superior
performance rating from federal regulators -- the first time any U.S.
nuclear plant has achieved and maintained the top grade for five
consecutive years of operation.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced today that Turkey
Point's safety performance continues to be at superior levels in the
four graded areas of operations, maintenance, engineering and
plant support.

The NRC assessment -- known as the Systematic Assessment of
Licensee Performance -- was conducted from Aug. 18, 1996
through Aug. 22, 1998. The plant first earned all superior ratings in
1994 for operations beginning in Jan. 1993 and has maintained
these grades through three consecutive NRC evaluation periods
(typically 18 months to two years).

``Maintaining this peak performance for five years is an
achievement of Olympic proportions in the nuclear industry,'' said
James L. Broadhead, FPL's chairman and CEO. ``Our dedicated
and well-trained plant employees have met the competitive
challenge of being the best in the nuclear industry. The NRC
scores speak for themselves -- our employees earned a 'gold.'''

In 1997, NRC recognized Turkey Point in a special letter of
commendation as one of two U.S. ``superior'' performers, setting a
positive example for the nuclear industry. Turkey Point also holds
the top ranking as the best nuclear performer in the country,
according to industry indicators from the World Association of
Nuclear Operators. Factors considered include safety system
availability, industrial safety, fuel reliability and other performance
indicators.

``It took employee dedication and determination to turn Turkey
Point from a plant that had less than desirable performance in
the late 1980s to the superior performer it is today,'' said Tom
Plunkett, president of FPL's nuclear division. ``We're proud of
the teamwork that brought about our first superior ratings in 1993
and even more proud today of maintaining that rating over
the years.''

FPL's two nuclear plants (Turkey Point near Homestead and St.
Lucie near Ft. Pierce) also have played a key role in helping
FPL meet record-high energy demands this summer. The plants'
availability -- the time a facility is available to operate -- stood
at almost 97 percent through August, much higher than the
industry average of 70 percent.

``Turkey Point remains a great bargain for our customers,'' Mr.
Plunkett said. ``The plant is safe, reliable and the lowest cost
producer of power on FPL's system. It's also a clean energy source
since there are no air emissions that contribute to global
warming or acid rain. Turkey Point operations are an asset today
and in the years ahead.''

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer