Re: An old waste burial site?? -Reply

Jesse/Ted,

Interesting question.  Unless we specify the city center or some other specific
location, 40 mile west of Los Angeles is not very specific since the city is some 50
miles across (e.g. San Fernando to Balboa).  Point Mugu (which was the site of
considerable space activity, some nuclear) is about 40 miles west of some point in
Los Angeles  ( e.g. Glendale) and the Atomics International/Rocketdyne Santa
Susana site is about 40 miles west of some other point in Los Angeles (e.g. Azusa
or West Covina).  The Channel Islands and Santa Cruz island are about 40 to 50
miles out to sea, but I am not award of them being used as disposal site.

There was considerable ocean disposal of radioactive wastes "way back when" but
it would be a stretch to call this "burial."

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov