Re: Re[2]: Open health physics position at NYSDEC

Steve Rima wrote:
>      I don't know if the salary is a joke (it doesn't appear to be) but I
>      wonder, how many of these kinds of positions go unfilled? Is this a
>      typical salary for such a state government position? I do know that I
>      pay more than this for non-degreed field technicians, and the cost of
>      living is significantly lower in Colorado than in NYC.
>
>      I would find it difficult to recommend health physics to someone as a
>      career with these kinds of "opportunities."

Unfortunately, I am sure that it is not a joke, and I am also sure
that the Radiation Safety Office (or whatever hiring party) is well
aware of how low the salary is.  The fact is that Universities and
many state agencies simply don't have the budgets to pay (what some
would call) reasonable salaries.  Commercial, Medical, Consulting,
and Federal Government tend to pay a bit better, but even some of
those positions are hindered by budgets.

Perhaps the question isn't why aren't these jobs paying more money
(often it simply isn't there), but how is this fact affecting safety
at these institutions?  Are they able to attract quality or at
least competent people at these salaries?

It is hard to say... If you look at the salary surveys (which are
hardly comprehensive) you will see that there are some CHP's even
that are working for under 30k (not many, grant you).  Perhaps the
fact is that the bulk of these positions are being filled by people
that aren't HPs (by education or background) but instead come from
some other field where these salaries are more reasonable.

I for one would love to work in a university setting.  I like the
atmosphere, the programs, etc., but I doubt I could live with the
salary.  I suppose one has to make tradeoffs and determine what is
most important in life.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel this will become a more important
issue in the future.  Once the "Old guard" of HP's from the glory
days have retired, moved on, etc., will there be enough "new blood"
to take up the load?  Will enough of us "young 'uns" stay in the
field or pursue something more lucrative?  Will government/industry
still care enough about rad protection to fund the expense of such
programs?  I have no idea... Any guesses?

Greg

Greg Sackett
Health Physicist
Enercon Services, Inc.