X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply -Reply

The original NPR story about airport security searches stated that individuals
who met profile criteria as drug smugglers would be, following an interview,
given the choice of strip search or be escorted to a near by HOSPITAL for
x-ray examination.  This implies abdominal x-ray for ingested objects.

Aside from the dose assessments and risk analysis which seem to predominate
the discussion has anyone considered that it is, at the least, unethical and
probably illegal to expose any person to a medical x-ray beam without the
express direction of a physician.  As a health care professional, were I asked
to do so, I would politely but firmly decline.

James Huesgen
RT(R), MPA