Gross Beta Reporting

I have a question concerning reporting for gross beta in a drinking water
sample.  I think the call came in from New Jersey where apparently the MCL
for beta is 4 mRem/yr?  Does this reporting limit assume Sr-90 for the
energy?  We report activity for drinking water in units of pCi/L.  I am
hoping there are some assumptions the state makes that I am not aware of to
do a conversion without a real listing of the beta energies.  Any ideas?

Darren Boone
Project Manager, Radiochemistry Division
General Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
dmb2@gel.com