Accidents at sea

Brian Bailey wrote

"My present project requires research of ship accidents involving
radioactive
materials.  Accustomed to shipments by truck or train, I am having
difficulty
in
finding such references.  Can anyone help?"

Two accidents in which ships carrying radioactive material were lost were
the Mont Louis in 1984 and MSC Carla in 1997. The Mont Louis carrying 350
tonne of uranium hexafluoride of 1% enrichment in 30 flasks sank 15 km off
Ostende after a collision with a ferry. The low specific activity cargo did
not give rise to any radiological hazard and only one of the flasks was
found in later recovery to be leaking. Salvage of the cargo was carried out
for reasons such as the shallow depth (15 m) which made it necessary to
clear the wreck from the shipping route, the economic value of the cargo,
and the chemical toxicity. The cargo of the MSC Carla, which split in two in
a storm, included three Type B packages loaded with a total of 330 TBq of
Cs-137 in five sources. The sea depth in the region was 3000 m. In view of
the depth, the expected corrosion of the sources and subsequent wide
dispersion of the caesium chloride material, no salvage attempt was
considered practical or justifiable.

Andrew McEwan

Andrew C McEwan PhD
National Radiation Laboratory