Re: Survey Instrument Beta Checks

> Date:          Fri, 18 Dec 1998 06:56:42 -0600 (CST)
> From:          dpleddy@papl.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Survey Instrument Beta Checks

> This question comes from the corporate Health Physics group of a nuclear utility which owns and operates a Boiling Water Reactor.  Although it may apply primarily to other nuclear utilities, I'm sure>
> For facilities which beta check their survey instruments with a depleted Uranium slab:
> How do you technically justify going from the DU beta energies to plant beta radiation fields?
> What references do you use?  Standards? Reg Guides? etc.
> What beta correction factor do you use for correction to what energy?
>
> Thanks again!
> Dan Leddy
> dpleddy@papl.com

Dan,

If the purpose is simply a check for operability, to demonstrate that
the detector is responding to beta radiations, then any beta source
emitting a reasonable number of different E(max) betas should fill
the bill.  When you survey for mixed fission products you potentially
are looking for betas from a raft of different E(max) beta emitting
radionuclides.  Also, if the range of E(max) betas off a du slab is
not significantly different from what would be expected from mixed
fission products, it might be an acceptible calibration standard,
assuming you can quantify its emisson rate for all betas.
<>    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer                  <>
<> Email:charles.meyer@tdh.state.tx.us
<>     Phone:(512)834-6688                       <>
<>        Fax:(512)834-6654                        <>