Re[2]: Fwd:RE: Question RE <Working Level>

     The last time I looked, I seem to remember the assumed detriment
     from exposure to 4 WLM (from ICRP 32) being comparable to the
     assumed detriment of 5 rem from ICRP 26/30, which is still the
     basis for NRC/DOE regulations in the U.S. The ratio of these two
     exposure or dose values is (5 rem / 4 WLM) or 1.25 rem per WLM.

     In those jet-setting countries of the world where new
     recommendations (like ICRP 60, etc.) are incorporated into
     regulation with blistering speed, the detriment above (with some
     changes to what is included in definition of detriment) is NOW
     associated with 2 rem (or 20 mSv, in their new-fangled
     terminology).  Thus, the ratio changes to (20 mSv / 4 WLM), or 5
     mSv per WLM.

     I don't recall seeing anything that says this relationship between
     WLM and rem (or Sv) is truly dosimetrically accurate; it is instead
     more of a convenient ratio between "apples and oranges" to assist
     in determining compliance with regulatory limits.

     I know this is a simplification, and if it's too far off, I welcome
     corrections from those who are more knowledgable than I.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo