Re: RE: History of X-Rays

I remember seeing Rosalie Bertell speak at a meeting of the American Public
Health Association, in NY City, in November 1979 (I'm showing my age!).  She
presented the paper, "Maternal/Child Health Effects From Radioactive
Particles
in Milk, Wisconsin 1963-1975."  Looking thru my files, I still have a copy.
This seems to be an "ecological", epidemeology study, which attempts to
correlate Sr-90 in milk, allegedly from the Prairie Island, Monticello,
Kewaunee, and LaCrosse nuclear power plants, with immature infant mortality
rates.  It concludes that, "...based on information now available to
Wisconsin
citizens, that pollution from fission products is most likely increasing the
mortality rates for immature infants in Wisconsin..." She seemed to ignore
the
obvious issue that correlation is NOT cause and effect.  Beyond that,
however,
I remember that Gerry Parker, the Director of the Massacusetts Dept. of
Radiological Health, asked her what statistical test she had used to
determine
that the immature infant mortality rates are significantly greater in those
areas near the plants compared to the control areas.  She stated that she
doesn't need a statistical test; she knows when the data is significant.

Oh, well; the more things change the more things stay the same.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteeenergy.com