RE: RE: EPDs for personnel monitoring and surveys

Actually, the number of overexposures to radiographers in Texas
doubled between 1986 and 1987.  1987 was the first year Texas
enforced the certification requirement and the two person crew.
There was only one overexposure to a trainee because radiography
companies weren't using them due to their uncertainty about
regulatory requirements.

However, over the next three years '88-'90 exposures were reduced to
a little less than half of the 1987 numbers. This was also a
significant decrease from the average number of reported
overexposures.

Injuries from radiography exposure were infrequent prior to the
adoption of our certification and two-person rules for
radiography.   They are infrequent enough that I wouldn't say
there has been a significant decrease.  In fact, we just received
another report of a radiation burn this week after seeing none in
recent years.

The greatest decrease in reported overexposures I have observed in
Texas came when NRC and agreement states adopted the annual exposure
limits in 10CFRPart 20.   Just another example of rulemaking
demonstrating  a positive effect.
Bob Free
robert.free@tdh.state.tx.us
phone 512 834-6688