RE: EPDs for personnel monitoring and surveys

> The greatest decrease in reported overexposures I have observed in
> Texas came when NRC and agreement states adopted the annual exposure
> limits in 10CFRPart 20.   Just another example of rulemaking
> demonstrating  a positive effect.

This is nothing more than a "smoke and mirrors" decrease.
Revising the regulation on the period to be monitored does not
positively impact, or negate, the causes of unnecessary
exposures, some that may exceed regulatory limits. This refects
simply a the "time slice" in which a dose is accumulated. Granted,
there are no additional quarterly limit exceedances, when an
annual limit is imposed. One could eliminate all exposures that
exceed a limit by simply having a 5 year limit, and no requirements
in-between. No credit in reducing "over-exposures" should be
provided to the monitoring period in which a dose must be
maintained

To address real issues real countermeasures must be
implemented. The TLD or film dosimeter is simply the outcome
indicator. The real countermeasure has to do with the process
indicators, i.e.,  continuous area survey (primary) and secondary
dosimetry.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205