Re: give me your opinion

If the radiological aspect of this hypothetical accident is the only concern,
a respirator would just get in the way.

However,  I've always been told the toxicity of plutonium is the far greater
hazard.  If this is true, we don't need any dead heroes.  Use the respirator.

This reminds me of an occurrence in the 70's.  A new nuclear station was under
construction across the parking lot from the one where I was working.  When a
supervisor went to check on one of his workers, he looked into a manhole into
an underground conduit where the worker was doing some cleanup using a
solvent.  The supervisor saw his worker lying at the bottom and hurried down
the ladder to check on him.  They lost two men that day.  The worker and the
supervisor.

Wear the respirator and whatever else you think you need to be safe.