food irradiation

I agree that microorganisms building up a resistance to
the levels of radiation used for this purpose is not an
issue.

I also agree that everyone needs to understand that
irradiating food does not replace the protective measures
already in place, it supplements them.  Once irradiated,
the food needs to be kept clean until consumed.  Given
the amount of time and money lost each year to non-
lethal foodborne illness, I'd say we should do everything
possible to make our food supply safer (there's that word
again).

A few months ago, I wrote a short information paper on
food irradiation.  I could not find any credible sources
claiming that the color, odor or taste of the raw meat
would be affected, as is claimed in the recently posted
article.  Does anyone know of any valid, scientific data
which would indicate that color, odor or tase are affected?

Phil