RE: Question re. 1940's medical procedure

My own mother (born in 1900) had adjuvant radiation therapy for breast
cancer in 1925, after a radical mastectomy.  She also had treatments in the
late 1940's after surgery for a recurrence.  So radiation therapy certainly
dates from the 1920s.

Your sister may have been treated for hyperthyroidism, and shrinking the
thyroid to normal size would not have required her to take additional
thyroid.  On the other hand, a number of growths were treated with radiation
at a time when (a) less was known about the long-term effects and (b)
surgical techniques, especially microsurgery, were not as varied and well
developed as they are now.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories