Re: petroleum prospecting

At 09:13 AM 3/10/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Looking for resources on procedures for rad protection while using =
>equipment for petroleum prospecting with neutron sources.

Dear Michael

1) The radiation protection procedures for  use and maintenance of well
logging for petroleum prospecting are essentially the same as for nuclear
density moisture gauges. The Practical Radiation Safety Manual on Nuclear
Gauges - IAEA PRSM-3, 1992 can serve as basic document to develop the Manual
for the well logging.

2) Many of these procedures were written decades ago, bearing in mind that
this technique is one of the oldest in  the industrial application of
radioisotopes. There are many texts dealing with this subject. I can
recommend one for you, I believe used in many countries, including Brazil
and United States

Robin .P. Gardner, R.L. Ely, Jr., Radioisotope Measurement Applications In
Engineering, Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York (1967)

Robin P. Gardner is Professor of Nuclear and Chemical Engineering and
Director of the Center for Engineering Applications of Radioisotopes at
North Caroline State University, so easily for you to contact him, in case
of necessity.

3)You can find  the above text, and the Manual (1)  and  other in industrial
application of radioisotopes at the CNEN's (Brazilian Nuclear Energy
Commission) library, as well as to obtain any help on this subject by
contacting the CIN (Nuclear Information Center).  Look the address at the
CNEN's site: http://www.cnen.gov.br, (http://dpx.cnen.gov.br/cin/index.html)
contact the Manager  Luiz Macedo.

4) About  Qualification and Certification of Radiation Protection Officer
for this specific practice make contact with Silvia  Velasques  at
CORAD/CNEN (Radiological Installations  Coordination)
http://www.cnen.gov.br/corad/homesura.htm

5) For both cases please use my name, if you which

6) You should also to consider Radiation Protection to  Cs-137 and  not only
for neutron. The following site  gives important  example: Rupture of Cs-137
source used in Well-logging operations
http://www.nrc.gov/NMSS/BPR/infonote/1979-85/in83074.htm

7)
>Sources available via the Internet particularly appreciated.

a)Computer Simulation of Nuclear Well-Logging Devices
http://www.llnl.gov/CASC/well_log/

b)A Monte Carlo applied to nuclear well logging applications.
http://www.aeat.co.uk/answers/PAGE11A.HTM

c) The Symposium on Geology and Geophysics held in Sao Paulo, September 1997
http://www.iag.usp.br/geofisica/CISBGf/pt29.html

7) Finally good luck and regards to people of DEN

Jose Julio Rozental
<josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel

>Michael Stabin
>Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
>Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
>CEP 50740 - 540
>Recife - PE
>Brazil
>Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253