Radium activity estimate

Rob Greger wrote
"I'm attempting to estimate the amount of Ra-226 in an old radium medical
source, and would appreciate advice. "

The activity present can be estimated from the gamma ray constant (8.25
mR/h per mCi at 1 metre is good enough in old units).  I also would see no
point and some risk in attempting to open the container.  I assume the wall
material is relatively thin and low atomic number i.e. not lead, so wall
shielding can be neglected.

Andrew McEwan

Andrew C McEwan PhD
National Radiation Laboratory