RADIUM ACTIVITY ESTIMATE

I'm attempting to estimate the amount of Ra-226 in an old radium medical
source, and would appreciate advice.  The source is in a stainless looking,
hexagonal container that appears to have a screw cap.  The container is
approximately 3 inches in length and 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter, and is
inscribed "Radium Chemical Company" "Distributor / Pittsburg PA".  I'm
hesitant to open the container because it has not been opened in at least 45
years, and I've heard the horror stories concerning leaking radium sources.
Inasmuch as all I'm interested in is a reasonable estimate of the activity
(for potential disposal purposes), and I've measured the dose rate at a
distance from the source, I now need the gamma constant and the attenuation of
the container.  I note that the Rad. Health Handbook lists the gamma constant
as 8.25.  I'm assuming that is for equilibrium with it's daughters.  If not,
what is the gamma constant for equilibrium with daughters?  On the second
front, does someone have experience with the type container described and know
wall thickness, or better yet, the attenuation factor?

Thanks
Rob Greger, lrgreger@aol.com