RE: RADIUM ACTIVITY ESTIMATE

We found one quite similar (marked as an unknown) at the U of Nebraska about
ten years ago from the Standard Chemical company (which later became the
Radium Chemical Company).  The stainless steel tube is likely lined with
lead (Pb), so using the gamma constant may not work for measuring the
activity.  The source we found inside the steel tube was a glass ampule, and
it was only by the grace of God that it hadn't ruptured.  I have pictures,
but would have to find them.

The Department of Health in PA was extremely helpful for identifying the
source.  I suggest calling them, because they had to deal with the clean up
of the old facility, and they have historical information.  They might be
able to help you identify the source configuration without taking it out of
its container.

We believe the source we found was made in 1916!

Lawrence E. Grimm                                           Phone:
310-206-0712
     UCLA Radiation Safety Office                       Fax: 310-794-5825
     1010 Veteran Avenue                                       e-mail:
lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu
     2195 West Campus Medical Bldg
     Box 951765
     Los Angeles, California 90095-1765

If this email looks, smells, feels,tastes, or sounds like an opinion, then
it probably is.  My employer normally disavows any opinion my big mouth puts
out in public,  My employer is mean and nasty in that fashion(an example of
an opinion),