Re: FW: Tinian Island Question

Antonio,

Boy this is a great problem.   It will be really interesting to find out if anyone knows any details about the "life and times" on Tinian in July and August '45.   My comments are based on reading a lot of information about the Manhattan Project, the 509th Composite Group and the B-29.

No.1.    "Pumpkins" were the practice bombs used by the 509th Composite Group during their preparation for the atomic mission.   They were sized, shaped and weighted to simulate the ballistics of the real weapon.  They were constructed of a steel shell filled with concrete.  Some contained a radio transmitter and proximity radar set (again for testing equipment and theory).   The proximity radar was set to explode the device (aka, "gadget") at a given height.  The radio transmitter to signal the aircraft and ground crews performing the tests that the proximity sensor had worked correctly.

I believe some "pumpkins" were loaded with high explosive as a part of the testing program but most were probably just concrete bombs dropped on a test range in California. "Pumpkins" were also used by the 509th after they deployed to Tinian to maintain their proficiency and gain "combat experience" in the Pacific theater.   The 509th crews spent some time dropping "pumpkins" on the Japanese held island Rota(?).

Because of their size and weight, the pumpkins were probably fabricated on Tinian for use by the 509th.  (Why would you ship a couple of tons of concrete across the Pacific when the space could be used for food, ammo, equipment?)   I'd seriously doubt if any radioactive material was used in the pumpkins.  It would be the last thing the Manhattan project would have wanted associated with the "gadget."    Even so, where would the radioactive material come from?

2.  Disposal at sea of all kinds of military equipment was the way things were disposed of in the Pacific.  A co-worker and my father-in-law told great stories of dumping old and battle damaged equipment over board after the war.   The problem was that some of the stuff was brand new and would be needed a few years later in a little place called Korea.    Some of the stuff could have been radioactive, like instruments (radium).

3.   Narratives about the project indicate that the "gadget" was brought to Tinian by the cruiser Indianapolis. {The fate of the Indianapois is another story.)  The "gadget"  was stored in the 509th's secure area and assembled  prior to loading on the Enola Gay.   No mention of how long it was on Tinian that I recall but it could not have been there more than a few days to a week due to the rush to employ the thing.    I'll check my books to find out.   Don't foget, being a very top secret project, its unlikely that anyone, other than the principals CAPT Parsons (the Navy Technical Guy and MAJ Ferebee (the bombardeer), would be allowed within a foot ball field of the "gadget."  (Apply the inverse square law here!   VBG!  :) )

4.   The few photos that have been made public of handling of the "gadget" while on Tinian do n't show any obvious film badges or dosimeters hanging out of pockets, although Colt .45s, cameras, and cigars are prevalent.   I'll bet that none were used.   After all, the hazards of radiation exposure (if they exist at low levels) were outweighed by the risks of operating in a training and combat environment.

Lastly, why were they called "pumpkins," you ask?   They were big, fat and painted orange.     Their orange color was easily seen from the ground and from the aircraft as it fell from 25,000 + feet during testing.

If you stand by for a day, I'll get you the titles of a couple good books that may provide some additional insight.

Regards,

Jim Myers
jhm@nrc.gov

>>> Falo Gerald A <Gerald.Falo@APG.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL> 03/31 2:21 PM >>>

     My name is Antonio Stallings,  I have a veteran that claimed
     he was exposed to radiation while on Tinian. The veteran was
     a machinist on Tinian. He continued by saying he disposed of
     various materials such as boxes, crates, tools, instruments
     and bomb casings used in the development and deployment of the
     nuclear bombs. The materials mentioned above were dumped in the
     Marianas Trenches on a barge. My questions are:

     1.)  Can anyone provide me any information concerning the machining of
     the Pumpkins (bomb casing) on Tinian?

     2.)  Can anyone provide me information on the (possible) materials that
were
     cleaned up on Tinian after the dropping of the bombs on Japan.

     3.)  Can anyone provide me with any information on how the
     radioactive materials were stored on Tinian.

     4.)  Can anyone provide me with information concerning any dosimetry
     utilized while working on the two bombs on Tinian.

     Any help/responses are appreciated

     Thank You