Food in Radioisotope Labs

Group,
I am sending this for a colleague at the University of Colorado Health
Sciences Center.  He is being asked about separation of food and
radioisotope research in space to be built or renovated at a former Army
Hospital that his facility is taking over.  First of all, please understand,
neither he nor I think food belongs in a research lab.  But building space
costs money and he is looking for ammunition to use to defend the increased
cost.  His internal policy [I think it is probably in his license
application] is something like physically separated space.  But it is not
clear whether that means a movable partition or bookshelf, fixed partition
or a completely separate room with a door.

Obviously the best thing he could find is a regulation saying it isn't
permitted.  He hasn't found that and I am not aware of such a reg. although
OSHA might have something.  I know there must be something in NCRP and we
would both welcome specific NCRP references or other standards but if
anybody knows of a regulation that would be GREAT!  Please don't reply
saying it is wrong to have food in a lab or variations on that them.  You
may respond to him directly at riad.safadi@UCHSC.edu or I will forward
messages.  Thanks in advance.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer
VA Medical Center, Denver

1055 Clermont Street, Denver, CO 80220
ATTN:  RSO, Mail Stop 115
peter.vernig@med.va.gov
303-399-8020 ex 2447
FAX 303-393-5026

Any opinions expressed in this message are solely my own and do not
necessarily reflect the opinion or policy of the Denver VA Medical Center,
The Dept. of Veterans Affairs, or the U.S. Government.

"You win some.  You lose some.  And some get rained out."  Y. Berra