RE: $5.4M Radiation Case Settlement Ok'd

Here is some feedback to your question: Last year I had a bone scan and I
asked the technician what she was injecting me with.  She responded: "Oh,
it's just a little bit of radioactivity and it won't hurt you."  I pointed
out that I was quite knowledgeable and not scared and might use the
information as a problem in the class I teach at UNM, so she told me: 30 mCi
of Tc-99.  She went on to say that most patients are so fearful of anything
radioactive that she downplays it just as she initially did with me.  She
didn't tell me the CEDE -- she probably didn't know -- and I can certainly
figure it out.

I do think there should be a requirement to inform the patient fully, no
matter how "scared" they might be, and the physician should do this so that
the patient can do a proper comparative risk assessment.  I do also know
from painful personal experience that the information to do a proper
assessment has to be pried out of many physicians and one has to know
exactly the right question to ask.  I don't think all this requires
million-dollar settlements, but something should be done to make the medical
profession more accountable in this respect.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800