RE: Radiation Control Technician

Things to consider.

Stay out of contract RP work in power industry.  Outages are now too short
and contract forces are under staffed.  We just went through an
under-staffed outage, over-worked our fine folks, and layed them off after
two weeks.  This scenario seems like it will continue, because appear to be
no solutions

Contract government work is as long as the contract is...

Full time power reactor work seems like an excellent paying job at this
time, but I'm not sure how things will be looking over the next 20 years of
your working life.  The pool of operating reactors will certainly decrease
to some degree.  I know of technicians that routinely make 70-90 k/yr.

Other full time positions in universities or hospitals might be quite
stable, but I'm not sure about the pay or the general work environment.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
Nuclear Power HP
glen.vickers@ucm.com