Gamma Rays from Severe Weather

Complete article is at
http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/essd26may99_1.htm

What Comes Out of the Top of a Thunderstorm
Gamma Rays from Severe Weather

May 26, 1999: Springtime in North America often brings severe weather such as
tornadoes, thunderstorms, high winds, and damaging hail. But just as powerful
and fascinating as what comes out of the bottom of storm clouds are the
flashes of gamma-rays that have been observed coming out of the top.

Terrestrial gamma-ray flashes (or TGFs) are short blasts of gamma-ray energy
associated with  thunderstorms. They only last a few milliseconds - about as
long as the sound from a snap of the fingers - and can only be detected by
satellites orbiting the Earth. NASA scientists inadvertently discovered TGFs
while they were monitoring bursts of gamma-ray energy coming from the depths
of space.

"Like so many things in science, we came across these (TGFs) totally by
accident," commented Dr. Jerry Fishman, principal investigator on the Burst
and Transient Source Experiment (BATSE) aboard the Compton Gamma-Ray
Observatory. "We designed BATSE to collect gamma-rays from the deepest
recesses of space, which it does very well. What we didn't know it would do
was also collect gamma rays released from severe weather systems on Earth."