Re: RE: Late charges for unreturned badges

The fact that this topic is still regularly discussed this way on RADSAFE is
an embarrassment to the health physics "profession."  Willful or persistent
noncompliance with occupational health and safety requirements is grounds
for
dismissal, or, as a minimum, in the case of radiological work, loss of the
privelege of using licensed materials or permitted devices.  If your
management does not support this, i.e. if your management condones
noncompliance with radiological monitoring requirements, then I would
question
whether your health physics program is adequate for maintaining a license or
permit to use a radiation producing device.  I am even more astounded at
your
statement that compliance with monitoring requirements, "... is only really
concern with Radiology and Cardiac Catheterization Lab because of their
relatively high doses."  This implies that these are the only users who
require monitoring.  If this is the case, you are probably better off not
monitoring the others; perhaps relying on area monitors to alert you to
changing conditions.  However, a monitoring program that is not taken
seriously is worse than no program at all, since it becomes an enabler of
poor, and possibly illegal, practices.

When I worked for a DOE facility, and ran into similar problems, on some
occasions I refused to provide health physics coverage for users who
willfully
ignored safety requirements.  This always resulted in a repentant and
cooperative user.  Looking back, I should have done this a lot more often.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

 >We reserve the option of suspending someone
>work with radiation or radioactive materials if someone loses their badge
>until the badge is found or a dose estimate performed.  This is only really
>a concern with Radiology and Cardiac Catheterization Lab because of their
>relatively high doses.

>Some groups just don't seem to care.

>Andy

>P. Andrew Karam, CHP