RE: Late charges for unreturned badges

Joe:

Getting back to your ORIGINAL questions about late badge charges...

Back in 1982 the University of Wyoming initiated a late badge charge-back
policy. We don't use it any more, but it's still on the books as an
"official" university fee. I started here in 1985, so I don't know how bad
things got before the program was started, and I don't know if it
significantly improved afterward. It was a stepped-up approach: The first
late badge, a warning was given but no charge.... The user got a $6.00 fee
and a nasty letter for the second late badge in a year.... after the third
time in a year, the user was charged $10.00 and his authorization to use RAM
was removed until he wrote a letter saying he was sorry.

Like I said, we don't use this policy anymore. We have intermittent problems
with late badges, usually at the end of the semester or near holiday and
summer breaks. It's rarely the same people every time. We have decided it is
easier to make a phone call and even send one of our student workers to get
the badges than to raise a big stink. Sending out letters and bills and
collecting petty cash are a bigger headache than dealing with late badges.

I guess it all depends on why you issue dosimetry in the first place and how
many you issue. Based on exposure records from the past 15 years, we have
never had anyone receive 500 mrem in a year. So technically we should not be
required to issue dosimeters. We do it because of ALARA and liability
issues. We've re-evaluated and have cut back on the number of dosimeters. In
1982 we issued over 250 badges. Last year we only issued 90. We found that
many of the habitually late badges were issued unnecessarily in the first
place. Now we may have a couple late badges each month, but we just send
them in to Landauer with a second control.

I'm not saying you should follow our example. I'm just saying to use
whatever works. For us, the softer approach works just as well as the
traffic cop approach did.

Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
herrold@uwyo.edu

University of Wyoming