Re: assault

At 06:53 31.08.1999 -0500, you wrote:

>>A few months ago I had implanted into my right coronary arteria two
>>socalled "ISOSTENTS", both containing about 18 microCurie of P-32. Would
>>this make the news on radiation harm or radiation damage?
>

>Well, this alone would not refute the argument.  A surgeon uses a scalpel to
>heal, I could take that same scalpel and kill, it would be a crime.  I could
>take a high activity therapy source and use it to badly injure or kill
>someone, that would fit the bill of assault with a deadly weapon.  Here, to
>me, the idea seems to be more of mere assault or malicious mischief,
>perhaps.

Yes, you are right. My idea was to compare the activities and to show, that
such an activity which is said to have been used as a "deadly weapon"
cannot be so deadly, since it is used for medical treatment. Personally I
am perfectly happy with the treatment, because until now my coronary artery
is still open and I can live again with good health.

By the way, does any RADSAFER know about the amount of P-32, which may be
liberated from an ISOSTENT? As far as I know, P-32 is produced by
accelerators, therefore the release should be pretty small.

The scalpel might kill, but can 25 microCi of P-32? I am pretty sure it
cannot.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria