Re: Letter to NPR

I read the "brief bio" on Mr. Lochbaum referenced below.  I do not see any
information that leads me to believe he ever received a degree or any formal
training in anything having to do with anything nuclear.  All it says is: "For 17
years, he worked in nuclear power plants, amassing experience in design,
operations, licensing, and training."

Then it says: "Then, in 1992, things changed. He and a colleague identified a
safety problem in a
  plant where they were working, raised the issue with the plant manager, then
with
  the utility, and finally with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. No one paid
  attention. They went to Congress. Finally, three years after they first sounded
the
  alarm, the problem was corrected at the original plant and at plants across the

  country.

  Concerned about nuclear safety and fed up with NRC complacency, Dave joined
  UCS in 1996. "When I raise safety concerns on UCS letterhead, the NRC pays
  attention," he says--a welcome change from the patronizing and dismissive
  response he received previously."

This information tells me that Dave is a disgruntled whistle blower.  As such I
would never accept anything he said as authoritative.  It's too bad his
experience was so bad as far as he was concerned.  But his reaction to rejection
is what many people would have.  Nader is like that too as are many other
rejects.  I can understand their feelings because I have been personally rejected
several times in my life.  However, I have never let that rejection color my
thinking about things scientific (or anything else for that matter).  Life's too
short for recriminations.  You need to pick up the pieces and get on with it.
Many people don't and harbor resentment for the rest of their lives.  Too bad,
but it's their resentment.  Now let the flames start.  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net

GlennACarlson@aol.com wrote:

> "However, we still do not know his background, or his experiences or
> expertise that leads one to accept anything he has said in the past or will
> say again in the future."
>
> Sandy doesn't know and apparently doesn't need to know.  David Lochbaum works
> for the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), and, unfortunately, that single
> fact is sufficient to lead Sandy to summarily dismiss "anything [Mr.
> Lochbaum] has said in the past or will say again in the future."  When you
> can't refute the message, attack the messenger.
>
> Mr. Lochbaum has made numerous public written and spoken statements on
> nuclear issues.  I've heard Mr. Lochbaum speak, and I suspect that he would
> be the first to caution against merely "accepting anything he says," but
> rather he would say critically analyze the facts, his statements, and the
> statements of those who disagree, and make up your own mind.  Can Sandy say
> the same?
>
> I reiterate:  I must point out that you don't even suggest that the UCS
> statements were inaccurate, let alone cite an inaccurate statement.
>
> See http://www.ucsusa.org/about/Lochbaum.html for a very brief bio of Mr.
> Lochbaum.  I believe he worked for KG&E at the Wolf Creek Plant.
>
> Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
> St. Charles, MO
> GlennACarlson@aol.com
>
> << Subj:     Re: Letter to NPR
>  Date:  10/3/99 9:12:16 PM EST
>  From:  sandyfl@earthlink.net (Sandy Perle)
>  Sender:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>  To:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
>
>  > > "In addition to getting a bachelor's degree, [Dave] Lochbaum [of the
> UCS]
>  > > suggests working in an internship during college and joining a student
>  > > chapter of the American Nuclear Society. 'Getting involved with the ANS
> gives
>  > > insight into what's going on in the industry and what the focus of the
>  > > nuclear industry is.' "
>
>  In that Bill Lipton didn't appreciate my poetic license taken with
>  respect to Glenn's posting, I'll add the following, directly related to
>  the quote above:
>
>  (1) I am in full agreement that all professionals should become
>  members of professional societies.
>
>  (2) Mr. Lochbaum should be commended for joining the ANS as a
>  student.
>
>  (3) However, we still do not know his background, or his
>  experiences or expertise that leads one to accept anything he has
>  said in the past or will say again in the future.
>
>  (4) His own statement 'Getting involved with the ANS gives
>  insight into what's going on in the industry and what the focus of
>  the nuclear industry is.' is vague. What insight? That all nuclear is
>  bad, and because he was a member of ANS makes that so?
>
>  (5) Glenn gives credence to Mr. Lochbaum, implying that he is
>  doing the right thing, while Bernie should not have been applauded
> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Al Tschaeche
n:              Tschaeche;Al
org:            Nuclear Standards Unlimited
email;internet: antatnsu@postoffice.pacbell.net
title:          CEO
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE