RE: Individual monitoring device question.

Thanks, Sandy. You've proved my point. I did not say that the dosimetry
provider had all the answers. In my dictionary, consult means to "converse
or advise together." Without CONSULTING with them, how can you blindly
determine where the badge should be worn, and how can they interpret the
results? They are the experts on dosimetry technology, they are accredited
to interpret the badge readings, they must know your needs in order to
provide the best service.

Landauer was happy to consult with me years ago on this very issue. We had
employees whose most likely area of exposure was waist high. We consulted
with Landauer and changed their type of badge. Landauer SAID they need to
know where the badge is worn in order to calculate doses to other parts of
the body (y'know, inverse square law, etc.). It was not just a matter of
convenience. Based on this knowledge that I received as a fledgling RSO, I
included the information in my radiation safety training. Before I became a
Health Physicist, no one told me not to wear my G1 badge on my belt, or hat
or shoe. I, and every other tech, wore them wherever we wanted.

Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
herrold@uwyo.edu

University of Wyoming
Environmental Health & Safety