RE: Individual monitoring device question.

> Thanks, Sandy. You've proved my point. I did not say that the dosimetry
> provider had all the answers. In my dictionary, consult means to "converse
> or advise together." Without CONSULTING with them, how can you blindly
> determine where the badge should be worn, and how can they interpret the
> results? They are the experts on dosimetry technology, they are accredited
> to interpret the badge readings, they must know your needs in order to
> provide the best service.

Jim, I agree with the above. I do however see this discussion with
the vendor mostly occurring under abnormal radiation situations. I
see the facility making the determination as to where the badge
should be worn based on the applications involved, and then
addressing the badge configuration, identifying badge location on the
label, with the vendor, after the initial information has been
gained.

What most wearers don't understand is that because a film, or TLD,
has a different location to be worn, doesn't mean it's a different
configuration. What is important to know, from a set-up, is the type
of field to which one will be exposed, i.e., radiation type, energy
spectra, etc. That will determine TLD element type, i.e., TLD 100,
TLD 600 or TLD 700, as an example. The beta energy is important, as
is the neutron spectra. Film is film, and the only differencxe is
where it's worn,, and is there an angular incident photon or x-ray,
that needs to be considerd.  These are all issues in defining the
type of badge to be worn. The location, for the badge type, isn't as
important, unless there is again, an abnormal irradiation, which the
vendor must then consider in the dose evaluation (if appropriate).

Regards,

Sandy

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net