Re: Status of patients from the JCO Criticality, (comments)

A real problem is raised by J. J. Rozental and Bjorn Cedervall on this
subject.  The population in the Tokaimura area need and are entitled to
simple explanations of the health consequence of the accident.  However
health professional and others have needs too.  In the population around
the plant there will inevitably be some informed individuals who can
interpret the data for their neighbours.

General practitioner colleagues are always complaining  about an analogous
situation which frequently occurs.  The press announces a food positing
scare, a spread of a deadly "unspecified infection". the drug authorities
declare a product say a brand of contraceptive pill as dangerous. The
public are advised to report to their medical practitioners for advice.
All too frequently the appropriate authority fails to provide, or delays in
the provision of useful information to the health professionals.

Patient;  "On the radio it said that  XYZ dairy product was dangerous in
pregnancy, had some last night. My wife is pregnant, It said that I should
come and see you.  What do I do?"

What Indeed!!!!

Ivor Surveyor		[isurveyor@vianet.net.au]
Emeritus Consultant Physician,