Re: Six nuclear Newsweek pages: THE NEXT CHERNOBYL

Bjorn,

I would recommend that you and others, that found the lack of journalistic
principles in the Newsweek article astounding, write letters stating
why.  A colleague and I sent one over the weekend pointing out some of
their errors regarding statements on the current health of the nuclear
industry in that set of articles.  The letters can be sent by email to
Letters@newsweek.com.

I frequently write letters to the editor regarding nuclear issues and if
you keep them short (limit the reporting errors addressed to one or two)
and pointed they have a better chance of being published.  Be sure to
provide a phone number that you can be reached at, since a few times I have
been pleasantly surprised when the reporters have called me to discuss
their mistakes and what references they had used for the stories.  I felt
those few reporters would do better in the future and was happy to help.

Mike

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D., P.E.
Environmental Technology Group
Environmental Science & Waste Technology Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545

mcbaker@lanl.gov

(505) 667-7334 (phone)