RE: Historical Criticality Accident in 1945

> Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> My question: Weren´t there two people who died in the
> accident (I am also looking at a list from IAEA)?
> How about the name Louis Slotin?

Harry's accident was in August 1945. Louis Slotin's was in May 1946.

1946 (May 21 <3:20 PM>) 32 year old man (Louis Slotin) receives an estimated
1100 to 2200 rad whole body, 30,000 rad on hands, of mixed neutron and gamma
radiation while "tickling the dragon's tail" (hand lowering beryllium
reflector around plutonium bomb core); dies nine days later of GI tract
syndrome. Bomb core was the same as the one that killed Daghlian. Seven
others exposed but none fatally. --- from my A Brief Chronology of Radiation
and Protection.

Hope this helps,
J. Ellsworth Weaver
PG&E's Diablo Canyon Power Plant
(805) 545-3029

"For by convention color exist, by convention bitter, by  convention sweet,
but in reality atoms and void."-- Galen quoting one of Democritus' 72 lost
works.