Re: Again 8 kB

Franz Schoenhofer too easily dismisses the ideas of Jim Muckerheide and his
contribution to the ongoing debate over the impact of low-level radiation,the
implications for public policy and the ongoing expenditures of literally hundreds
of $billions of dollars.

In our meetings of the Mass. Advisory Council on Radiation Protection, Jim does
present a lot of scientific studies to back up his ideas regarding hormeisis.  He
engages most times in a substantive debate.  However, his fierce partisanship for
the safety of what he calles low level radiation exposure and its healthful
effects does not answer my question - at what point does radiation go from being
an immune system stimulant to being a long term health threat?  Probably it
depends on the age, health, type of exposure...but these are important issues.

Also, Jim has a habit of excluding cell studies as not being a predictor of human
health impact when they diverge from his agenda and citing cell studies when they
agree with his agenda.  That being said, Jim Muckerheide has engaged in an
extensive high level scientific discourse with everyone who comes in personal
contact with him, and in particular the Mass. Advisory Council on Radiation
Protection.

I do not agree with his conclusions that all valid studies indicate that
so-called low-level radiation exposure (as high as 25-50R) are safe and
healthful, however, no one who has engaged in a serious dialogue with Muckerheide
would think for a minute that he is not a part of the community of radiation
protection scientists.  Jim raises the issues of whether scientific judgement is
affected by financial interest - this is a worthwhile issue that needs a rational
defense, not censorship.  At what point do you experts think that we citizens are
properly protected?  Radiation protection has become a big business funded by tax
payer dollars.

We all have a stake and many lay persons want to engage with the radiation
protection professionals and find out what kind of data points do you have at the
low level exposure points?  What controls did you use?  What other factors were
present?  What conclusions should we draw?

At least Jim has the courage of his convictions to raise hard and difficult
questions and for that he is to be launded.  He is not the person I would hire to
be a nuclear industry regulator, but he is the knowledgeable type of person I
would hire as a writer, critic, commentator, professor, consultant, or for a
panel discussion before a thoughtful audience of policy makers.  Generally I sit
back and learn from the radsafe postings, and I hope other citizens, journalists
and policy makers are doing likewise.  You all are very generous with your time
and willingness to share your erudition.

Please send me a copy of the same message that Richard Davies requested.

Thanks,
Dan Burnstein