RE: Radiation Records Being Investigated

Radsters,
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the difference is that the NPP
programs are/were regulated by the States or NRC (some may say
over-regulated), whereas during the Cold War the DOE sites were not subject
to oversight, and allegedly put production in front of protecting workers
and the environment.

For example, there's a lot of environmental contamination at the DOE sites,
very little (if any, that I know of) at power plants.  DOE claimed eminent
domain during the Cold War, and said they didn't have to comply with
environmental regulation. That didn't change until after the FBI raids at
Rocky, and the first-ever (that I know of) suit of one department (DOJ or
EPA?) of the government against another (DOE).  Only after DOE was told
that they had to comply with environmental regulations did things start to
change.  The possibility exists that worker protection and industrial
safety were treated similarly as the environment (production first), thus
the worker stories that are now surfacing.

The difference is in the lack of regulatory oversight and in the legacy
programs' Cold War philosophy, not the "mystically different properties" of
radiation.

Phil Egidi
ORNL/GJ
7pe@ornl.gov