From: Jerry Cohen
To: Multiple recipients of list
Sent: 2/25/01 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: LNT, Collective Dose

Fritz,
    Your point is well taken, but the argument depends of the
definitions
applied, i.e. threshold for what?? The fact that at some low level of
dose,
positive effects may occur does not preclude the possibility that
negative
effects (albeit of a different nature) could simultaneously be
occurring. In
the regulatory/political bureaucracy, the focus is on avoiding harmful
effects. Positive effects. if any,  are essentially irrelevant, so the
question remains-- What could possibly constitute "scientific evidence"
that
harmful effects are absent.
    How else can you explain the refusal by official agencies to reflect
the
works of Bernie Cohen and a multitude of other scientists in setting
radiation protection policy?

Jerry