Re: pstd/Mobile Chernobyl

Chernobyl had an entire core of burned fuel with large

quantities of I-131 and such.

With SNF transportation, only a couple dozen fuel

assemblies are transported at once so there is quite a

bit less of fuel to begin with.  Moreover, all of the

really nasty isotopes (e.g. short half-lives) have

decayed away.  None of the I-131 remains.

So, not only do you have less fuel but you also have

far less radioactivity.  All of the radiation exposure

effects resulting from Chernobyl were from thyroid

uptake of I-131 - which does not exist in a SNF cask.

With just this, it is not possible to even begin to

approach the magnitude of Chernobyl.

On another point, the use of the phrase "Mobil

Chernobyl" is totally unacceptable.  If, as Norm

admits, it is just a proverbial campagin slogan, a

sound bite, propoganda, PR, etc. then it is even more

offensive and unacceptable to be used by groups like

the NIRS.

Look at their name, "Nuclear Information & Resource

Service."  This implies that they disseminate

information.  One would expect, from their name, to

disseminate accurate information not propoganda or

sound bites.  If they are using that term

intentionally to garner public opinion simply because

the word "Chernobyl" tends to scare people then it

would be safe to assume that every one of their

position papers is filled with an equal amount of

unjustified propoganda.

It should be a testament to nuclear power that groups

need to stoop to such low levels in order to make

their point.  It should serve as proof that they

cannot argue the merits of nuclear power without

resorting to distorted, inaccurate, and intentionally

misleeding propoganda.  If nuclear pwoer were SO bad,

then they could attack it on the merits alone without

resorting to the tactics they use.

Comments......Norm....?

Tim

http://mail.yahoo.com/