Re: Welcome to California - Aha!

Well, since Mike Stabin got on the thread with his

comments, I'll add my 2 cents worth...

When we found 4 contaminated kittens at San Onofre

Nuclear Generating Station in 1996, we found that one

brand of popular kitty litter we bought in grocery

store contained about 0.4 microcuries/gram of natural

radioactivity (uranium series).  If the activity was

little higher, maybe I could saved few bucks on having

my daughter's pet cat fixed.  :-) (<<Just a joke,

folks!)

We also learned that at least one California vetenary

school release treated pets to their owners when the

contact exposure rate is less than 50 mR/hr and the

excreta contain less than 10 times the exempt quantity

limit for the radionuclide of concern.

Tosh Ushino

ICN Dosimetry

--- Michael Stabin <michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu>